distribution and logistics
Macomb County is anchored by a transportation network that possesses the vital infrastructure needed to service emerging industries and a growing population. These infrastructure assets, paired with a world-class manufacturing ecosystem have fostered a robust transportation, logistics, and warehousing sector featuring over 700 companies employing more than 15,600 workers. From just-in-time shipping from supplier to OEM or long-distance hauling, Macomb County can do it all.
Why Macomb County?
- 70 miles of rail corridor running through two major industrial corridors.
- Two International airports (Detroit Metropolitan Airport and Flint Bishop Airport) less than an hour away from
- Two international border crossings, less than an hour away
- Interstates 696 and 94, part of a six interstate network that moves people and goods throughout the metro Detroit region.
- A network of state highways, including M-53, M-59, M-97, M-3, M-19, M-102, and M-29, that provides important regional transportation linkages.
- Easy connection to I-75 and I-80 for cross county transportation
Projected job growth from 2017-2027
Jobs in 2017
Jobs in 2022
Projected jobs in 2027
Important industry data
- $1.45 billion industry gross regional product (GRP)
Warehousing sales data
- $3 billion in total sales in 2021
- $1.7 billion in regional sales in 2021 (59% of total sales)
- The Detroit region is the sixth-largest metro in the nation for exports, and Michigan businesses export products to more than 230 countries. (Source: Detroit Regional Partnership)
Programs available for businesses
- Financing through the Michigan Economic Development Corporation -- small to medium-sized businesses in Michigan utilize the MEDC’s multiple capital access programs to maintain and grow their companies when private sector lenders need assistance in providing a loan
- Five truck driver training schools located within the county
- Freight Economic Development program -- assists new or expanding rail customers with up to 50% of the costs associated with rail infrastructure on their property, like rail spurs. Projects need to have associated job creation and rail car generation
- The Greater Detroit Foreign Trade Zone, Inc -- provides a competitive advantage to U.S.-based companies involved in international trade through the deferral, reduction, or elimination of U.S. Customs duties. Through cooperative efforts with public and private organizations, these advantages are used to attract and retain businesses that create employment and economic activity in southeast Michigan
- Macomb Community College programs -- the Michigan New Jobs Training Program is an economic development tool that allows community colleges to provide free training for employers that are creating new jobs and/or expanding operations in Michigan. The training for the newly hired workers is paid by capturing the state income tax associated with the new employees' wages
- Macomb/St. Clair Michigan Works! programs -- On-The-Job-Training program offers an incentive to employers for hiring eligible job seekers and providing them new skills training. OJT provides reimbursement to the employer; up to 50% of the new employee’s wages for a designated period. This reimbursement assists in covering some of the extraordinary costs of providing the training
- Michigan Business Development Program (BDP) -- provides grants, loans and other economic assistance to businesses for highly competitive projects in Michigan that create jobs and/or provide investment and results in a net-positive return to Michigan
- Detroit Regional Partnership (DRP)
- Macomb Community College (MCC)
- Macomb/St. Clair MichiganWorks!
- Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT)
- Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC)
- Southeast Michigan Council of Governments (SEMCOG)
- Central Transport
- Detroit International Bridge Co. Inc.
- Mason Dixon Intermodal Inc.
- Midwest Freight Systems Corp.
- Palmer Moving & Storage Co.
- Palogix Supply Chain Services, LLC
- Storage and Transportation Co. Inc.
- Vitran Express Inc.
To learn more about our free and confidential services.